Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My Darling Bimbo

I was 16 years old when I got the chicken pox. In fact, I had to do my O'Levels in a room all on my own because I had them at the time. Needless to say, it wasn't that great a time. I was thinking today, and my thoughts wandered to a time back then when I was feeling at my most, shall we say, unattractive? One night laying in bed I remember how disgusting I felt, how spotty and ugly and horrible I was feeling, how I felt that noone would ever want to be anywhere near me. And as is usually the case in these kind of circumstances, I wasn't able to see the end of my chicken-pox ANYWHERE on the horizon. My cat Bimbo was laying on my pillow next to me that night; my spotty, calamine-lotion covered body disgusting even myself. I remember closing my eyes with the weariness of it all, when all of a sudden, for the first time and probably the last time, Bimbo leaned over and gently placed her forehead against mine; As if to say "Don't worry Zena, I don't think you're disgusting, and I will always want to be near you."

It still makes my heart melt thinking about it.

And some people don't like cats!!

3 comments:

SunShine said...

awww... im sure it wasn't that bad. But we tend to be hard on ourselves =

Anonymous said...

dont be fooled-its not that legend has it...but in reality if a dogs master died, the dog will stay by the body and protect him/her. A cat however will feed off the decomposing flesh if he/she gets hungry. It is a sensible saying..a dog is truly a mans best friend!!

ZanZoon said...

great to finally have you blogging shelly! lol interesting note to start your commenting on! haha
ive heard that story before, it may be true, i have no way of knowing, but that still doesnt make my cats any less cute! :)