Friday, March 31, 2006

Don't Correct Disney! Or Israel!

Listening to the "Tiny Cities" album by Sun Kil Moon, those of you in Cork, you should have read my review on it! In the fabulous An Sceal... No? *sigh* Yes I know, I hadnt heard of it either, until they asked me to start doing reviews that is.

Today, Liam Thornton told me a story which I think pretty much sums up the attitude taken by the States (and its Corporations) towards Israel.
While in school, him and his class were taken to Euro Disney, Paris, for a trip. Anyhow, some ride, I think it was "It's A Small World" (the classic that it is), showed the countries around the world and their respective capital cities. Jerusalem was listed as the capital of Israel. What was the capital of Palestine? Nothing, since there was no mention of Palestine...at all. Liams teacher stood up and brought to the attention of the workers there that the information shown was wrong, and that Jerusalem is NOT the capital of Israel. The capital of that "country" is Tel Aviv. Simply a teacher of Geography pointing out a simple mistake. Like if they listed Manchester as the capital of England. I'm sure it would be EXPECTED that someone would point out the mistake.

Apparently Disney didnt take lightly to this simple correction...they threw the teacher out of the ride for Anti-Semitism!!

No comments: