Sunday, September 10, 2006

It Is Later Than You Think

I was clearing through my room today, and I came across a scrapbook that I had put together in 2000. Of course you forget about so many things until you're reminded of them in some way, whether its a noise, a smell, a memory trigger, or actually coming face to face with it. Don't you ever wonder what the point is of living if you forget 90% of it? I mean, so much that happens is just forgotten. That's why its good to have a sister, she remembers things I forget, and vice versa. Although its usually her remembering things, my memory is shocking lately! Still though, she need only remind me, and it comes flowing back, and I remember that it didn't happen like that at all! What is she saying?! Different aspects of the same situation impact differently on different people. I remember the looks, the body language, she remembers the words. That's the way it is, and it works out just fine. But, I digress, the point was that I came across this scrapbook, and what it is, is a book of newspaper clippings. Things that were in the news that I thought were interesting, that I thought I would like to look back on in years to come. What did I see? The same things that are in the news today. Nuclear weapons, Hezbullah, Israel, ceasefires, gay rights, and halfway through the book, the trial and execution of Timothy McVeigh. If you'll remember, he was the 'Oaklahoma City Bomber' put to death by lethal injection. In the book is his story, day by day for almost 3 weeks. It was something that I now remember had a profound effect on me. It was the beginning of the end perhaps. The beginning of an interest in justice, in the policies of countries, in what I have come to realise will be an eternal quest for the truth. I have no interest in bringing up the past right now, and even less interest in depressing you any further than I am sure my previous posts have, but it has made me think. I know that many argue that capital punishment is effective justice; that it deters future crime. But I ask, should we not use our resources in a manner that seeks to REFORM these criminals. Can we justify the giving up on them that is capital punishment? Is it not just a simple way to end our problems? To ensure that they will not be taking up room in our jails, depleting the countries resources and not putting anything back into the economy? The easiest option is usually not the right one.

Its a debate that goes round in circles. I dont know about you, but I'm sick of spinning. Thats all that I've been doing lately. Today, I made the first step towards slowing down the spin. I can't say what it is, but I'm excited. As Horace once said ' it is later than you think'. I don't want to waste any more time. I want to end this post with a quote by Harold Whitman, I think it says it all:
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanna be aliiivee!!!!!!