Sunday, August 13, 2006

Stupid War, and Stupid Exams!

I cannot wait for these exams to be over. Just so I can put my time and energy into something I actually think is worthwhile. That is, the ending of the atrocities being waged on the Arab world today. I am not naive enough to think that my actions alone can put an end to the madness, but I'll tell you this much, I have to try and do something.

Lubna Hussein claims that "Justice Is Dead; At Least If You're Born An Arab." Click here to read her excellent article.

Exams start in just 7 days. One minute I'm worried, the next I'm as cool as a cucumber. Although last week I did have a dream that I went into the Company Law exam unprepared. She kept calling my name to come up and sit the exam, and I kept asking for a little more time as I frantically scribbled down the last of my notes. In the end she cancelled the whole exam because I had held everyone else up with my time-stalling antics. Ah well, its inevitable isnt it that my subconscious fears will manifest themselves in my dreams. What really annoys me is the fact that as a student you're supposed to memorise case after case after case. Show me ONE lawyer that will advise his client or present a case to the court without consulting his case books, and I will show you a pig that can fly! It just isnt done, and personally I think it's stupid to think that as students we should be measured by our abilities to commit to memory facts which are written down in a million and one text books. We're people, not machines. Education is not, and should not, be measured by our ability to recite facts and information. Computers can do this; are they educated? I sure as hell am not going to go in there and reel out the cases. I refuse to. I'm actually going to try and put some insight into my answers. Which is probably not what they're looking for, but I really don't care at this stage. I'm just going to go in there and answer the questions. Why should there be only one way to do something? Let's do it my way shall we? :) [as I type I know that such an attitude will probably only lead to failure in the stiflingly traditional arena that is our legal education. The question remains, will I eventually cave and resort to the tried and tested methods of answering?]

I personally don't even think that we should have exams anyhow. But then, that could just be my bias talking, as Im going to have to go in there in a week and sit those very exams whose usefulness I'm currently questioning! I'd better get back to the books as to be honest, none of the examiners are going to give a crap about what I have to say about the said exams, and I'm really just wasting my time here. Later.

No comments: