Thursday, January 19, 2006

Gossip

You know what I absolutely hate?? Gossip. Yet for so many people it's a standard form of communication. "Oh you know what I heard today?", "Did you hear who cheated on her boyfriend?", "So-and-so told me, that so-and-so told her that her brothers best friends wife said that so-and-so broke up with his girlfriend for a rabbit! Can you believe it?" NO! I cant believe it. In fact, I find it very hard to believe any of what you just said! I dont want to believe it. In fact, I choose NOT to believe it and to give that person, of whom you feel you have a god-given right to talk so freely about, the benefit of the doubt. To me, it's a disgusting, useless habit and I try my hardest to steer clear of it. But God knows it's hard to stay away from! Everywhere I turn someones talking about someone else.

I have one friend, who shall remain nameless, that is the biggest gossip I have ever met. She just loves to talk, and usually her talk is focused around the private details of someone else's life. The thing is, I know that there's no malicious intent involved. She really doesnt set out to ruin some innocent girls reputation, yet most of the time I'm afraid that's what she ends up doing. She just doesnt realise the impact of her words. She doesnt realise that half the time, she's employing a hell of a lot of double standards, and criticising someone else for things that she herself feels justified to do.

WHO CARES about everyone elses private life??!! Don't you have enough to think about just worrying about your own? Life is short, you've got to live each day as it comes, and a lot of the time many people dont take full advantage of what life has to offer for fear of what other people might say. You wouldnt like it if people jumped to conclusions about your life, so why jump to conclusions about someone elses? Sure it can be fun when you hear a piece of really juicy news. But is it really worth it? I wouldnt want people to talk about me, so I dont talk about other people. It's as simple as that. So if you want people to worry about your relationships and what exactly it is that you do every night when the lights go down, then by all means go ahead and worry about what goes on in their lives too.

Point is, I have a life to live, and interestingly enough it doesnt involve wasting my time talking about the problems of people I hardly know.

No comments: