Sunday, January 15, 2006

Regurgitated Ideas

When one wishes to study the nature of modern society, I find that Heathrow airport proves an ideal place. Surrounded by people of all race and religion, you realise that, my God, but western media has done one hell of a job in westernising our worlds people. Granted, many would feel that, rightly so, when in Rome dress as the Romans do so to speak, but I fear that many westerners would feel little inclination to don the traditional garbs of Eastern countries they would be visiting. Instead, accompanying the western mentality is a sort of arrogance which demands the whole world conform to western norms but which is devoid of any similar opposing inclination to adopt, nay ACCEPT, the norms of any other society worldwide. Westernisation does not equate to civilisation! Sadly though, I fear that the majority of people believe that to be a walking billboard for consumer, capitalist ideals is the highest title one could hope to attain as a human being. "Look at me, I am an individual, I am free, I am democratic, I am fashionable, I buy the latest trends, I am open minded, I am civilised, I am Westernised." I pose the questions why persons wear the West on their sleeve, yet feel the need to cover their Eastern heritage with as many layers as possible, pardon the pun.
How can one be free when one is a slave? A slave to fashion, a slave to advertising, a slave to ones desires, a slave to the media, a slave to money. This is not freedom. It is brain washing masquerading as freedom. There is no such thing as freedom. Human beings are guinea pigs in the lab that is our world. Subliminal messaging, advertisments developed by psychologists with a purpose in mind, and many more avenues have been utilised by the select few who run the world in order that they be able to control the masses. Our "individual" ideas are no more than fragments of things we've heard, read or seen on television, pieced together and regurgitated in our minds.

No comments: