Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Nickname Hiccup

I was just sitting here "working" and.... ok perhaps I should clear this up. I am working, honestly. It's just, I feel that in order to raise my productivity to optimal level, it's necessary to regularly take a break and stimulate my mind in ways other than through reading the nitty gritty of contracts. Not to say that that isn't stimulating...to some perhaps. Whatever floats your boat I guess, and well right now my boat has crashed into a glacier resembling a page and a half clause and my boat is sinking slowing and painfully. I'm drowning in a sea of terms and conditions and it's not very pretty. Quite distressing really. So you see, I write not only for pleasure, mine and yours, but to LIVE.

So anyhow, I was sitting here working, and I got to thinking. About a lot of things really... not least of all the fact that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to start calling my boss "JB". A nickname is cute, but...now this is just a gut feeling here...i think he just may not be that fond of it. I don't know! Just a feeling! Nevertheless, I've decided to perhaps go back to being old-school and calling him Mr. (insert name here). No matter how young he may be, perhaps he'd rather if JB was confined to the basketball courts (assuming its still 1993 or he still plays basketball).

But thing is, it's a big operation this whole name switching thing really. I can't just go back to the original name too quickly! It'll seem like I can't commit to a name-change. Like I never really believed in the nickname in the first place. Like he really was never a "JB" all along. Ego's could be bruised in such a delicate operation. Perhaps calling him JB has made him feel 'cool', 'hip', 'one of the gang'...give me a break here, I'm trying to put myself in his place, which involves the use of his vocabulary! No, it's gotta be gradual...y'know sort of like I'm not even aware that I'm calling him something different. Naturally rolling off my tongue. Like "JB" was just a phase, a passing fad. Like "JB" just matched the cologne he was wearing this week.

So currently, I'm calling him Mr. B... I know, I'm cringing too! But it's gotta be done! The guy thinks I'm mentally challenged I know. Trying to say it casually is not easy. It's quite hard to slip something like "Mr. B" into a conversation about our financial exposure in a certain boring as hell contract. It's too early to intelligently gauge the reaction, but I'll tell you this much, I can't wait for next week when I can go back to calling him Mr. Berti again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nicknames oh nicknames ! i'm not very creative, and sometimes not bold enough to attach a nickname to someone. But to go and call your boos BJ haha is quite funny when i think about it ! in fact its quite endearing. Was it your idea to call him by that nickname or do other people call him that as well? Either way, you sound like you're in a bit of a pickle (EEWW i hate pickles)
i don't have much experience in these situations, not so much nicknames but the boss names. And slumberjay ( i know i just slaughtered the spelling of that company) would be a place with a little more leniency with things such names and other social interactions that a governmental institution such as the Chamber of Commerce would have. but having said that..
I do switch from calling my boos Dr. to Dr. MAgdi, Dr. Abdul HAfiz, and other respectable titles like USTAZ or HADRITAK. I don't stick to one or the other, i like to mix and max, depending on the context and my tone of voice. A Joke, a seroius matter and general conversation all require, i feel, different names of the person your talking to you to be used. But BJ, now that's a whole different story !hehe All i can say is casually alternate between Mr. B and BJ with different contexts and then start sticking to one and discard the other.
sorry its not very interesting comment but i felt i have to go say something. Its a good way for me to write as well. Hopefully my other comments will be better than this.
till then...
adios

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but I don't like using nicknames.. they feel insincere to me.. I'd rather call somebody by their real name.. the name that was given to them by their parents and ultimately represents who they are and will be until the day they die.. it is the name that was on their birth certificate and the one that will be on their grave. Calling somebody by their 'true' name has much more effect than a nickname.. unless ofcourse it is a nickname that a mother or somebody else close to them has used, in which case it could call up many deep rooted feelings and either add or subtract from your ability to commicate with them..

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but I don't like using nicknames.. they feel insincere to me.. I'd rather call somebody by their real name.. the name that was given to them by their parents and ultimately represents who they are and will be until the day they die.. it is the name that was on their birth certificate and the one that will be on their grave. Calling somebody by their 'true' name has much more effect than a nickname.. unless ofcourse it is a nickname that a mother or somebody else close to them has used, in which case it could call up many deep rooted feelings and either add or subtract from your ability to commicate with them..

ZanZoon said...

anonymous said
"Calling somebody by their 'true' name has much more effect than a nickname.."

that's true. Unless they hate their name! haha Which in such a case would certainly have an effect!

Personally though (unless it's an insulting nickname or one I'm not particularly fond of, which in either case I would call the person on it), calling someone by a nickname shows a certain affection. That's what I feel anyhow when someone calls me by a nickname. Let's face it, you don't give a cute pet name to just anyone do you?